Thursday, February 3, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin Group)
Publish Date: January 11, 2011
ISBN: 978-1-59514-397-6
Pages: 400

I haven't read sci/fi this good since ENDER'S GAME. Beth Revis is a genius - her world sucked me in and I finished the book in less than 24 hours!

In the first chapter, 16 year old Amy and her parents are being cryogenically frozen for a 300 year long space trip. The process completely freaked me out and I couldn't stop thinking about it. As Amy goes under, the last thing she hears is the techs discussing how there's a one year delay for the mission. All Amy can think is 'I want my year back.'

Elder is a 16 year old leader-in-training on the spaceship 'Godspeed', 250 years AFTER it's launch. He talks about a Plague that ran through the ship years ago and how everything changed, including how the ship is set up and used. We learn that everyone on the ship is now monoethnic, because one of the biggest causes of discord are differences. Everyone has olive skin, brown eyes and brown hair.

The chapters alternate between Amy and Elder, it was interesting to see what was going on from both viewpoints when they are apart.

The real trouble begins when Elder finds out that the ship holds the cryogenically frozen people. What ensues isn't just a story of how things go wrong, or have gone wrong, on the ship. It's a love story and a story of how rulers go bad (like and how being different is wonderful.

This is an excellent read and one of the best books I've ever read. Beth Revis is planning on a trilogy for these characters and I can't wait for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment