Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The trouble with half a moon by Dannette Vigilante

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publish Date: January 6, 2011
ISBN #: 978-0399251597
Pages 181

I'll admit that I had a really hard time with this book.  At first I couldn't decide if it's because it's considered Middle Grade reading and maybe I was expecting too much or if it just isn't my style.  What I decided is that there was so much detail - every tiny conversation - but I didn't get any emotion, just words.  This could have been a very powerful story, but it was just words on paper.

Dellie's brother died the summer before the book begins, but no one says what happened to him, but it seems that Dellie thinks it's her fault.  Her mom stays in her room and cries a lot and her dad seems to try to make things 'normal' again.  She has the usual teen troubles - she likes a boy but isn't sure he likes her; her best friend gets made at her and she doesn't know why.  In the midst of all this, a new family moves into the building.  A little boy like her brother was.  Dellie takes a special interest in the boy and feels like it's her responsibility to take care of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment