Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wayback Wednesday - SPEAK

Publisher:  Penguin Group
Publish Date:  Originally 1999; Platinum Edition 2006
ISBN: 978-0142407325
Pages: 198


I really like that Melinda's life is separated into the marking periods of her high school life.  At the end of summer, right before the first marking period, Melinda is at a party.  Something happens and she calls the police, but leaves before they get there.  Now everyone is mad because she ruined the party and some people got in trouble.  Even her best friends won't talk to her.  Now Melinda has pretty much stopped talking, her grades have dropped and she has started skipping classes.

I really liked that Ms. Anderson doesn't say exactly what happened to Melinda at the party, she just hints at it.  I was pretty sure that I knew what it was just a few pages in.  I had friends that had similar things happen, not in high school, but in college.  It's devastating.  I think that it was handled in a wonderful manner in this book.  This is definitely a must read for everyone.

Have you read it?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment