Thursday, May 26, 2011

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Publisher:  Harper Teen
Publish Date:  January 4, 2011
ISBN: 978-0061996160 
Pages:  448



So I have found that books about angels and fallen angels tend to be a bit too angsty for me.  I think it's the feathers that do it to them, I mean, feathers must be hard to keep clean and deal with all the time, right?


UNEARTHLY was better than most.  Clara is only a quarter angel and has just found out the first part of her purpose.  Every angel has a purpose and Clara's takes her family across the country to a new town.  They lived in California and now have moved to the land of cowboys and skiers.  She has a lot to learn and deal with.  On the upside?  Clara meets another half angel and gets to be friends with her, learning things her mother won't tell her.  I like Clara, she seems like a real girl.  In fact, I like her whole family.  They seem to be a basically normal family that just happens to have some angel blood.

The boys.  Ofcourse there are two of them, when aren't there at least two of them anymore? *sigh*  So Christian is gorgeous, has a girlfriend, seems to like Clara and is the guy that shows up in her visions.  But I still just don't like him that much.  Tucker is good looking, fun, her best friends brother and there's more to him than seems at first.  I love that Tucker actually spends a lot of time getting to know Clara before he ever tells her how much he cares.  That's more like real life - I like it!  Too many YA books jump in and the characters are madly in love without knowing each other at all.  My favorite quote in the book?

"What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, Why don't you see me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment